As a full time Personal Trainer I am passionate about training and nutrition. "Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things". Everyday, I strive to share and transfer this passion to my clients, my friends, and my family in order to help them live a healthy lifestyle. I refuse to be average: I am willing to risk going too far in order to find out how far I can go.

"The human body is capable of amazing physical deeds. If we could just free ourselves from our perceived limitations and tap into our internal fire, the possibilities are endless" - Dean Karnazes. This has inspired me to commit to the journey of ultramarathon races.

Friday, April 1, 2011

Recovery Week

So this week is my RECOVERY WEEK. After 3 intense week of training i always take a full week to recover. In the last 3 weeks i ran over 360km + 6x 1H Strength Weight Training + 3 Yoga Classes. During my recovery week i still workout 5x a week but less intense and less miles.This week ill be doing in total 50-70k, 2 Yoga Classes and 2 Strength Training. Let me explain to you the importance of recovery week:

To optimise your running, you need to find the ideal balance between running and recovery.

Hans Selye, a Canadian physiologist, stated that if you stress a body and let it recover, its performance will be enhanced. Miss out on the recovery, and it will become exhausted. An athlete may withstand a relatively great load of a particular exercise for which he or she has been trained, but more easily succumbs to other stressing agents such as colds and bacterial infections than the normal healthy person. A number of hard training weeks require a recovery week to allow supercompensation and improvement. Even if you have a hard day/easy day schedule, although energy levels will recover, muscle tissue repair will not. The ideal pattern is generally 3 hard weeks followed by an easy week. In summary, to ensure that you are optimizing your training from the point of adaptation, go for 3 weeks hard/1 week easy and also have a couple of recovery periods throughout the year, say of 3 weeks duration each. The effort you put into your running is too important to devalue by not giving yourself sufficient recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment